The Research Office @ RAU
Research Strategy 2021-2025
Ethics & Responsible Research
Write Academic Paper
Types of academic research papers
In social sciences, the most frequent types of research papers are (APAstyle.apa.org, Easybib.com):
- Take data from observations and experiments to generate research reports.
- Are based on actual data, not theories.
- Analyze other people’s work.
- Aims at gathering information about a current issue or problem and to communicate the state-of-the-art.
- Attempt to fill existing gaps in knowledge with suggestions for future research.
- They are somewhat similar to literature reviews in that they collect, examine, and share information about a current issue or problem by using others’ research.
- It is different from a literature review in that it attempts to explain or solve a problem by coming up with a new theory. The new theory is justified with valid evidence.
- Present new advances (or modifications in existing practice) in a scientific method or procedure.
- The authors of this type of paper have data to prove that their new method is valid, thus plenty of evidence should be included in the article.
- Present information related to an individual, group or a larger set of individuals.
- The subjects (the individuals) are analyzed for a specific reason, and the authors report on the method and conclusions from their study
- This type of paper is used to make suggestions for future research, create possible theories, and/or determine a solution to a problem.